Owning your own home is great.
- There’s the benefit to your health – living in poor housing increases exposure to toxic substances, increases injuries, and decreases mental health.
- Homeowners report higher life satisfaction and higher self esteem.
- Homeowners are more politically active than non-homeowners and are more likely to participate in voluntary organizations and to attend church.
- Buying a home costs less than renting a home.
- The children of homeowners are more likely to stay in school and have higher levels of academic achievement than the children of renters.
- Owning a home provides family stability.
- Then there are the tax benefits. Homeowners can deduct:
- points paid on your mortgage.
- interest paid on your mortgage.
- property taxes paid on your residence.
- origination fees on your mortgage.
What’s your favorite thing about owning your own home?