Some years, it’s too hard to coordinate the family’s schedules or take too much time away. Other times, it’s a budgetary decision. Whatever your reason, we’ve compiled a list of 2 weeks worth of day trips you can easily take from Union County.
- Atlantic City – walk the streets that Boardwalk’s streets were named for and buy some salt water taffy.
- Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ, has acres and acres of beautiful park-like land and dozens of life size and larger sculptures that will delight and amaze you. Visit http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/index.cfm for more information.
- Tour the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Visit http://activerain.com/blogsview/4719196/the-statue-of-liberty for more information.
- Take a tour of Princeton University.
- Visit a pick-your-own farm and buy enough strawberries, peaches, or blueberries to make jelly or at least a pie.
- Visit Liberty Hall – the home of NJ’s first governor. Visit http://activerain.com/blogsview/4439697/liberty-hall—home-of-nj-s-first-governorfor more information.
- Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson is a perennial favorite of nearly every kid we know.
- Visit a winery. Some of our favorites are Bellview Winery, Brook Hollow Winery, Four Sisters Winery, Laurita Winery, and Old York Cellars. Visit their websites to see what special events they have.
- Visit the Culinary Institute and either take a class or enjoy a gourmet meal – or both. Visit https://www.ciachef.edu/ for more information.
- Visit the Vanderbilt Mansion, a National Historic Site in Hyde Park, NY. Visit https://www.nps.gov/vama/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm for more information.
- Tour the Thomas Edison Museum, a National Historic Site in West Orange. Visit http://activerain.com/blogsview/4403201/visit-the-thomas-edison-museum for more information.
- Spend the day exploring the wetlands at the Meadowlands Nature Center (http://activerain.com/blogsview/4778666/meadowlands-environment-center) and then spend the evening at the Race Track (http://activerain.com/blogsview/4913666/meadowlands-race-track).
- Visit the 911 Memorial. See https://www.911memorial.org/ for more info.
- Visit Jockey Hollow and Washington’s Headquarters Museum in Morristown. See https://morristourism.org/history/american-revolution/morristown-national-historical-park?pp=1 for more info.
- Spend a day at the Jersey Shore. Soak in the sun and play a few games on the boardwalk in Wildwood or Seaside Heights.
What are your favorite things to do during your New Jersey Staycation?