When I asked you about commission, you told me that all real estate commissions in New Jersey are “negotiable.” How low will you go? Why would I ever pay more if I can negotiate less?
Real estate commissions are negotiable in New Jersey, and you’ll often find local trends.
In life, you get what you pay for.
First, take a look at what I pay for, out of my own pocket, whether your home sells or not. I pay for the listing on the MLS, for the sign, for the photographer, for the flyers to be designed and printed, for a postcard mailing or two or three, for lunch for the broker’s open house, for snacks for the public open house(s), for the virtual tour, the lock box, and for the newspaper advertisements. Even if your home doesn’t sell, I provide these services. I also have probably already spent several hours working on your home – meeting with you, preparing a comparative market analysis and preparing a marketing plan. That is completely free to you, the home seller.
Once you have listed your home, I am your front line of defense. I protect your privacy while screening potential buyers. I interface with other agents to present your home in its best light. And in the end, I will negotiate a contract with a buyer that is worthy of the commission I have earned. While your home is under contract, I am the quarterback of your successful home sale, arranging for inspections, appraisals, and all manner of inconveniences that you can ignore.
When it comes to the person negotiating your home sale with a potential buyer, do you want to hire someone who couldn’t even negotiate his/her own commission? Or do you want a strong competent experienced professional? You get what you pay for.
~ Team Zuhl
Continuing our long standing “Dear TZ” series, this blog post features a question that is frequently asked of Team Zuhl. Previous entries include:
- Dear TZ – How can I prepare my home to sell?
- Dear TZ – My home isn’t getting any showings! Help!
- Dear TZ – I found a great house but it needs a lot of work. Can a 203k help me?
- Dear TZ-30 Years is too long but I can’t afford to pay more per month!
- Dear TZ – My uncle told me I can save the commission if I sell on my own.
- Dear TZ – What does amortization mean?
- Dear TZ – I Want To Price a Little High to Leave Room For Negotiating
- Dear TZ – I want to fire my REALTOR!
- Dear TZ – What are the Boundaries to my Property?
- Dear TZ – Which home improvements give me the most return on my investment?
- Dear TZ – Can I add a handrail to the shower in my rented apartment?
- Dear TZ – Can I buy a home without a lot of money to put down?
- Dear TZ – What’s the Crime Rate in this Union County town?
- Dear TZ – Should I paint before I list my house?
- Dear TZ – What are credit bureaus, credit reports, and credit scores?
- Dear TZ – We think this house is haunted
- Dear TZ – Can I commute to NYC from Union County?
- Dear TZ – How do I choose a Realtor?
- Dear TZ – I owe more than my home is worth! What should I do?
- Dear TZ – Isn’t it harder to sell a home in the winter?
- Dear TZ – I think my house is worth more than my REALTOR thinks!
- Dear TZ – How do I know how much to offer on this house?
- Dear TZ: Do I really need to hire an attorney for this deal?
- Dear TZ – How do I show my home with pets?
- Dear TZ – How are the Schools in the towns that I want to buy a home?